Posted by: kljolly | January 11, 2013

Digitizing

Day2

So, this is my first post since September 7, 2012?

Okay, so it was a busy fall semester with two experimental classes plus the birth of My First Grandchild, Brian William Kaster, on October 22, 2012.

However, I am moving forward on at least one of my two research fronts, figuring out how to digitize the additions to Durham A.IV.19 in a way accessible and usable by others.

First, I am corresponding with Dr. Rebecca Fisher at the University of Sheffield on the possibility of creating a database for Anglo-Saxon charms that parallels the effort to digitize liturgical materials.  In some ways, Durham A.IV.19 stands at a nexus of liturgy and charms (Aldred’s field prayers), as does the marginalia in Cambridge, Corpus Christi College 41, which I have also tried to digitize.  Rebecca put me on to a website tutorial for the Text Encoding Initiative, called TEI by Example.  I am working my way through it as well as looking for similar projects, one with glossed texts would be nice.  Derek Olsen, if you are still following, any thoughts?

Second, I am presenting my project at the Marco Manuscript Workshop at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville, Feb. 1-2 (run by Roy Liuzza).  That has lit a fire under me to keep at it.  Also, my university college is trying to get some kind of Digital Humanities consortium running, so I am on a committee exploring those angles.

But what about my fiction?  I miss the leisure of reading and writing while on sabbatical.


Responses

  1. I’m right with you! Actually, I’ve been cramming xml code in my spare time and have been pouring over the TEI myself.

    In short, it looks like I’ll be responsible for heading up the Electronic Publications section for the Episcopal Church’s Standing Commission on Liturgy & Music; one of my goals is to get the BCP and other major liturgical texts into a TEI-compliant format.

    Where this intersects with your work is that one of my goals is to document a scheme that will play well with the rest of the TEI for encoding liturgical materials of whatever type–whether the American 1979 BCP, the English 1549 BCP, or the Durham Ritual. As I communicated earlier, I think there have been fits and starts in this direction, but I’m hoping this initiative will provide the accountability and urgency to actually get it done!

    Would you be up for collaborative thinking on structure, tagging, etc.?

    • Absolutely: it is a relief to hear of someone else working on tagging liturgy, especially someone more familiar with encoding. I did early html mark-up by hand before buying software (now use DreamWeaver), so the basic structure is familiar but XML and the TEI tags are new.
      So if you come up with liturgical tags, no reason for me to reinvent the wheel. The part I am looking into is how to tag glossed texts.

  2. The way I’d do it is to use the markup with place=”interlinear” and the language identifier. Then by a sharing of ids you could use the link function to associate the OE with the Latin. Does that make sense?

    Probably the easiest way to demonstrate would be for you to send me a page image and I’ll show you how I’d do it.

  3. Hi Derk. Not quite there yet: let me get a bit further into TEI codes and then send you something. I will probably start with Scribe B’s prayer against poison, corrected and glossed in OE by Aldred.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

%d bloggers like this: